Match Reports‎ > ‎

Narrow Defeat for Junior (B) Hurlers in League Tie with Whites Cross.

posted 11 May 2015, 16:44 by Willie Horgan
                The Brian Dillons Junior (B) Hurlers had a most exciting tussle with Whites Cross ,in the City Division Junior (2) Hurling League, out in Whites Cross GAA Ground, on Monday evening, 11th May 2015, before victory went to the homesters ,on a 1-11 to 1-9 scoreline.
               On a very windy and damp evening, out in Whites Cross, Brian Dillons played with the advantage of the strong breeze in the opening half but ,they struggled in the early stages, with their forwards making no impression on the Whites Cross defence.  The early injury to full-forward, James Murphy, who had to retire with a hamstring strain after ten minutes play, did not help and it was Whites Cross who edged into a three points to nil lead , in the opening 11 minutes. It took 14 minutes before Brian Dillons had their opening score, a point by Ken McCarthy, which was followed by two further points from Stephen Crowley and Tommy Boland, which leveled the scores, after 16 minutes play. A Dave Coughlan pointed free, two minutes later, sent Brian Dillons into the lead for the first time, but, Whites Cross leveled again, after 20 minutes. Another point from Stephen Crowley, who was playing impressively at midfield, left Brian Dillons leading by the slenderest of margins, 0-5 to 0-4, at half-time.
         Brian Dillons had to face the  blustery breeze in the second half and a huge improvement, on their first half performance, would be needed ,if they were to remain in contention.   The opening stages saw Brian Dillons playing with a new found confidence and two early points by Adam Cotter and Dave Coughlan pushed them into a three point lead. However, they were struck a massive blow, after 10 minutes, when Whites Cross were awarded a penalty. The one against one penalty saw the Brian Dillons "keeper, Seanie O"Dwyer  getting his hurley to the ball, but failing to stop it from crossing the line...teams level again , 0-7 to 1-4. This goal gave Whites Cross renewed confidence and with wind advantage, they swung over three impressive long range points, which saw them leading, 1-7 to 0-7, after 15 minutes of the second half. Kevin Coughlan had the deficit back to two points, with a fine score, into the breeze, after 20 minutes, but, Whites Cross added two further points, in the next three minutes, which gave them a four point lead, the largest gap between the teams since the game began. Another Dave Coughlan pointed free ,narrowed the gap to three points again, with just three minutes remaining , to which Whites Cross replied with a similar score, one minute later.. Stephen Crowley ,with a fine goal for Brian Dillons, left the minimum between the sides, with just two minutes remaining, but, the physically stronger Whites Cross team had the last say, when they added another injury time point, to give them a 1-11 to 1-9 victory. Scorers for Brian Dillons were;Stephen Crowley, 1-2; Dave Coughlan , 0-3 (0-2 frees);Ken McCarthy, Tommy Boland, Adam Cotter and Kevin Coughlan ,0-1 each. The Brian Dillons team lined out as follows;Seanie O"Dwyer; Eoin Hennessy; Derek McDonnell; Stephen Kearney; Dylan O"Donoghue; Darren McGrath; Dave Cremin; Kevin Coughlan; Stephen Crowley; Dave Whelan; Dave Coughlan; Ken McCarthy; Stephen Coughlan; James Murphy; and Tommy Boland;  Subs; Adam Cotter for James Murphy (Injured, 10 mins.); Ethan Keane for Stephen Coughlan ( Injured, 45 mins.); Thomas McGrath for Dave Whelan (50 mins.);