Match Reports‎ > ‎

Narrow Defeat for Junior (B) Footballers in League Semi-final to St.Nicks.

posted 12 Nov 2013, 15:59 by Willie Horgan
                 After a most entertaining game , the Brian Dillons Junior (B) Footballers were narrowly edged out by St.Nicks, 2-7 to 1-7, in the semi-final of the City Division Junior (2) Football League, which was played under the Pairc Diolunaigh lights, on Tuesday evening ,12th November,2013.
               When these sides met in an ordinary round of the League, exactly one month ago, Brian Dillons were clearcut winners on a 1-10 to 0-7 scoreline, but, it was a different and more determined St,Nicks team on this occasion.. Another difference was that Brian Dillons were without their two top scorers from the October meeting, Michael Peters and Seanie O"Dwyer, who were both out injured, but ,still ,this was a game that could have been won.   After a closely contested opening half hour, the sides were level, 0-5 each, when the half time whistle sounded. St.Nicks had a stroke of good luck in the opening minute of the second half when a deflected shot beat the excellent John Shek for the first goal of the game . Brian Dillons responded to this setback with some terrific football and were in control of the game for the next twenty three minutes of the game. John Shek was coolness personified between the posts while the full back trio of Luke O"Connell, Paul Horgan and James Varian were not giving the St.Nicks inside forwards a look-in. At midfield, Danny Murphy played himself to a standstill, with good assistance from Minor player, Mark Kelly. Kevin Allen always looked threatening ,in the attack with good play also from Dave Cremin, Barry Triggs and Michael Colohan. Points from Kevin Allen and Dave Cremin had Brian Dillons trailing by just a point ,after eight minutes of the second half and ,one minute later, they were ahead when a powerfull Damien Horgan strike nestled in the corner of the St. Nicks net... 1-7 to 1-5. A period of sustained Brian Dillons pressure failed to bring any further scores and some wayward shooting was to prove costly. The next score of the game did not come until five minutes from the end, when St. Nicks regained the lead with their second goal and, with the Brian Dillons period of dominance over, the Blackpool side made victory secure when they added two late points to finish 2-7 to 1-7 winners.
 Scorers for Brian Dillons were; Kevin Allen,0-3; Damian Horgan, 1-0;Danny Murphy, Dave Cremin, Barry Triggs and Dave Coughlan, 0-1 each.