Match Reports‎ > ‎

Late Goal Earns Junior (B) Footballers League Win over Ballyphehane.

posted 30 Apr 2014, 16:20 by Willie Horgan
                 A very much depleted Brian Dillons Junior (B) Football squad displayed remarkable resilience when coming out on top against Ballyphehane, thanks to a late Michael Peters goal, in the City Division Junior (2) Football League, which was played in Pairc Diolunaigh on Wednesday evening, 30th April, 2014.  The final score was; Brian Dillons (B), 2-9; Ballyphehane, 1-10.
                 With the clubs Junior (A) squad playing on the same night and with several of their players out through injury, the team management had to call up several of the (B) squad, which left John Colohan, manager of the second string, forced to field a skeleton team against Ballyphehane.   Great credit is due to the team that lined out as they played with tremendous spirit and were rewarded for their efforts with the late winner from Michael Peters.  It did not look good for Brian Dillons when Ballyphehane raced into a 1-1 to nil lead, after five minutes play, and were controlling the game. However, some great defensive play from Brian Dillons, particularly Stephen Coughlan, Ciarain Kelleher and Eoin Hennessy, prevented Ballyphehane from increasing their lead and midway through the half, Tommy Boland opened Brian Dillons account with a point. Further points followed from Sean Kelly, Seanie O"Dwyer (free) and Barry Triggs ,which had Brian Dillons on level terms, 0-4 to 1-1, after twenty two minutes play. With Barry Triggs and Kevin Allen dominant, at midfield at this stage, Brian Dillons were controlling the game and sustained pressure saw Seanie O"Dwyer finishing the ball to the net , which pushed Brian Dillons ahead, 1-4 to 1-1, with seven minutes left in the first half.. Ballyphehane reduced the arrears with a point, a minute later, but, however, points by Ken McCarthy and Michael Peters shoved Brian Dillons four ahead, 1-6 to 1-2, with the interval approaching. A late point for Ballyphehane closed the first half scoring...... 1-6 to 1-3 in favour of Brian Dillons ,at half-time.
                The opening ten minutes of the second half saw Ballyphehane reduce the arrears with two points, one from a free, to which Kevin Allen replied with a point for Brian Dillons, after eleven minutes of the second half...1-7 to 1-5. Another point for Ballyphehane , one minute later, was followed by a similar score from a placed ball, by Seanie O"Dwyer after thirteen minutes of the second half had elapsed. Ballyphehane  began to dominate the next eleven minutes of the game and after a period of sustained pressure, they managed to score four unanswered points which pushed them into the lead, 1-10 to 1-8, with six minutes remaining. Sean Kelly scored his second point ,a splendid score, for Brian Dillons, which left just a point between the sides , one minute later. The closing five minutes of the game saw Ballyphehane attacking strongly only to be denied by the stern defending of John Shek, in goal, Paul Horgan and Derek McDonnell for Brian Dillons. One such attack was broken up by Ciarain Kelleher who parted the ball to Stephen Coughlan who ,in turn passed to centre forward, Tommy Boland. Displaying all of his experience gained over the years, Tommy, picked out Michael Peters with a peach of a pass, and the clever wing forward made no mistake when slotting the ball past the Ballyphehane "keeper for the winning goal. It was 2-9 to 1-10 , in favour of Brian Dillons, at the finish. Scorers for Brian Dillons were; Seanie O"Dwyer,1-2 (0-2 frees); Michael Peters, 1-1;  Sean Kelly, 0-2; Barry Triggs, Kevin Allen, Tommy Boland and Ken McCarthy ,0-1 each.  The Brian Dillons team lined ouy as follows; John Shek; Stephen Coughlan; Paul Horgan; Ciarain Kelleher; Eoin Hennessy; Derek McDonnell; Damian Horgan; Barry Triggs; Kevin Allen; Michael  Peters; Tommy Boland; Eric O"Donoghue; Sean Kelly; Ken McCarthy; and Seanie O"Dwyer; Sub; Donal Shek for Damian Horgan (Injured, 35 mins.)