Match Reports‎ > ‎

Late Goal Earns Clondrohid a Replay against Brian Dillons in Minor Football Championship.

posted 25 Jul 2013, 16:24 by Willie Horgan
                 A goal in the dying seconds of the game earned Clondrohid a share of the spoils with Brian Dillons in the Rebel Og County Minor Football Championship quarter-final,which was played in Pairc Diolunaigh on Thursday evening, 25th July,2013. The final score was; Brian Dillons, 2-8; Clondrohid,3-5.
               The Brian Dillons team and Management must be wondering how they did not have the game closed out before Clondrohid struck for their late,late equalising goal. After dominating for most of the second half, their forwards squandered numerous scoring chances but when Eric O"Donoghue  kicked over two points in the last five minutes, it seemed that victory was to be theirs, after all. Another effort from Eric O"Donoghue ,which would have sealed a Brian Dillons victory, went narrowly wide and from the kick-out,Clondrohid went on one of their rare incursions into the Brian Dillons defence which resulted in their corner-forward smashing the ball to the net for the equaliser.. The opening half of the game was evenly contested with scoring at a premium due mainly to the wide expansion of Pairc Diolunaigh. With Clondrohid leading, 0-2 to 0-1, Brian Dillons were given a great boost, in the ninth minute, when Brian Manning gained  possession  from a Mark Kelly 45 metre kick and smartly finished to the net.  James Bradfield added another point to push Brian Dillons ahead, 1-2 to 0-2, after twelve minutes. The scoring dried up for the next ten minutes during which numerous chances were wasted by the Brian Dillons attack and Clondrohid were back on level terms, in the twenty second minute, when they carved open the Brian Dillons defence to score a great goal. Points were exchanged in the remaining minutes of the first half and at the interval the sides were level, 1-4 each.
              Brian Dillons opened the second half in whirlwind fashion.  Firstly, Brian Manning pointed in the first minute and less than a minute later, Kieran Delaney got his fist to  Mark Kelly free kick for an opportunist goal , which had Brian Dillons leading by 2-5 to 1-4. Clondrohid narrowed the gap with a point, after four minutes, but when Andrew Whyte had a similar score for Brian Dillons, a minute later, it was to be his sides last score for twenty minutes. Clondrohid were back in the game when they scored a goal from a penalty after seven minutes, which was to be their last score until the final seconds of the game when they got the equalising goal. In the closing twenty minutes, Brian Dillons dominated the proceedings, with Keith McCormick, Darren McGrath, Mark Kelly and Eric O"Donoghue thundering into the game , but faulty shooting cost them many scores.   When Eric O"Donoghue finally found the target with two points in the twenty fifth and twenty sixth minute, it looked like it was to be Brian Dillons day as they led, 2-8 to 2-5, with time almost up.. However, there was to be one more twist in the tale when Clondrohid got the equalising goal in the dying embers of the game which meant the teams will have to do it all over again. Scorers for Brian Dillons were; Brian Manning,1-2; Kieran Delaney, 1-1; Eric O"Donoghue,0-2; Darren McGrath, Andrew Whyte and James Bradfield, 0-1 each. The Brian Dillons team was; Mark Sheedy; Ryan Burns; John Kenny; Keith McCormick; Darren McGrath; Andrew Whyte; Mark Kelly; Eric O"Donoghue; James Bradfield; Adam Cotter; Brian Manning; Kieran Delaney; Subs; Michael Feehan for Adam Cotter; Ethan Keane for James Bradfield; Adam Cotter for Michael Feehan; James Bradfield for Kieran Delaney; Kieran Delaney for Ethan Keane.