Match Reports‎ > ‎

Junior (B) Footballers Disappoint in Championship Loss to Lough Rovers.

posted 16 Jun 2013, 08:40 by Willie Horgan
            The Brian Dillons Junior (B) Footballers produced a most disappointing performance when going under to Lough Rovers in the City Division Junior (B) Football Championship quarter-final, which was played in Ballinlough on Saturday evening, 15th June,2013.  The final score was; Lough Rovers,2-14; Brian Dillons(B), 2-8.
             Fielding a reasonably strong fifteen, much was expected from this Brian Dillons team but, they never really got to grips with this game and Lough Rovers were deserving winners at the finish. The opening exchanges of this game saw Brian Dillons attacking strongly and were unlucky not to have goaled. The opening score came after seven minutes when Lough Rovers scored a classy goal from a difficult angle and followed with a point to put them four ahead after eight minutes.  Tommy Boland opened Brian Dillons account with a point , after nine minutes but ,it was obvious that the cleverer football from Lough Rovers had them in the driving seat.  A goal from team captain, Damian Horgan, after eighteen minutes, gave Brian Dillons great encouragement,as they now trailed by the minumum, 1-1 to 1-2. However, Brian Dillons failed to build on this goal  and were outscored, 0-5 to 0-3, in the closing ten minutes of the first half.   The score at the interval was, Lough Rovers,1-7; Brian Dillons(B),1-4.
              Brian Dillons opened the second half scoring with a point from Michael Colohan, after two minutes, which left his side just two points adrift. However, disaster struck one minute later, when the Lough forwards carved opened the beleagured Brian Dillons defence to score their second goal to put them ahead, 2-7 to 1-5. Then, followed a period of complete dominance by Lough Rovers and, with three consecutive points ,they stormed into a 2-10 to 1-5 lead after eleven minutes of the second period. Credit to Brian Dillons, however, for not throwing in the towel at that stage, and with Dave O" Leary excelling , they began to eat into the Lough Rovers lead.  A goal and two points by O"Leary left Brian Dillons trailing by just three points,  2-10 to 2-7, with ten minutes remaining in the game. In an attacking position, Brian Dillons stupidly gave the ball away and Lough Rovers worked the ball upfield ,won a free and pointed to put them four points ahead . From the kick-out, Lough Rovers won possession and put the ball over the bar again which more or less ended the Brian Dillons comeback. The final score, once again was Lough Rovers, 2-14; Brian Dillons (B), 2-8.
         Scorers for Brian Dillons were; Dave O"Leary,1-2;(0-1 free ); Damian Horgan,1-1 (0-1 free); Michael Colohan,Darren McGrath, John Noonan,Tommy Boland and Paul Triggs ,0-1 each. The Brian Dillons team lined out as follows; (1), Paul McCarthy; (2),Dave Whelan; (3),Sean Goggin; (4) Paul Horgan; (5), Kevin Coughlan; (6), James Murphy; (7), Michael Colohan; (8) Darren McGrath; (9), Danny Murphy;
(10), John Noonan; (11), Barry Triggs; (12), Tommy Boland ; (13), Dave O"Leary; (14), James Horgan; (15), Damian Horgan (Captain); Subs;
 Andrew Murphy for Damian Horgan (51 mins.); Paul Triggs for Tommy Boland, injured (52 mins.);