Match Reports‎ > ‎

Junior (B) Footballers Defeat Lough Rovers in League.

posted 15 Feb 2015, 15:14 by Willie Horgan
                       The Brian Dillons Junior (B) Footballers collected the points in the City Division Junior (2) Football game, when they had a hard earned four point win ,over Lough Rovers, on Sunday afternoon, 15th February, 2015, which was played in the Tank Field. Fielding a way stronger team than the previous Sunday"s loss to Delanys, Brian Dillons, with six changes in personnel, proved too strong in the end  against the usual spirited resistance from Lough Rovers. Played under very difficult conditions, on a gloomy Sunday afternoon, with the steady drizzle making ball control hazardous and the Tank Field sod becoming heavy and slippery, the Brian Dillons gaffer, John Colohan, must have been pleased with the performance and attitude of his players   Once, Tommy Boland put Brian Dillons ahead, with the opening point in the fifth minute, after receiving a pass from Dave Coughlan Brian Dillons never fell behind in this game in spite of the strong challenge from the Lough.  At the end of the opening half, Brian Dillons were leading by 0-5 to 0-1, with Minor player, Thomas McGrath, helping himself to three points from play. The Brian Dillons defence were solid and disciplined, in the first half, which limited the Lough"s scoring to just a solitary point during the opening thirty minutes.    A pointed free, from Dave Coughlan, pushed Brian Dillons six points ahead, in the second minute of the second half, but, then followed a sustained period of pressure from the Lough which won them a penalty kick , eight minutes after the interval. The penalty kick was ,initially, saved by the Brian Dillons heroic "keeper, John Shek, but the rebound was finished to the net by the Lough"s penalty taker, at the second attempt. Two minutes later, the Lough pointed which left only a point between the teams, and Brian Dillons looked to be in trouble..  However, the team responded to the challenge, with the defence, splendidly marshalled by inspiring skipper, Eoin Hennessy,holding the Lough forwards scoreless for the remainder of the game.   With ten minutes remaining in the game, Brian Dillons got a vital score,when the impressive, Thomas McGrath, after receiving a splendid assist from Luke O"Connell, billowed the back of the net, which put his team four points clear. With ground conditions worsening,the closing ten minutes were played out with no further scores, and at the final whistle, Brian Dillons were deserving winners on a 1-6 to 1-2 scoreline.     Scorers for Brian Dillons were; Thomas McGrath, 1-3; Dave Coughlan, 0-2 (frees) and Tommy Boland,0-1. The Brian Dillons team lined out as follows; John Shek; Stephen Coughlan; Paul Horgan; Ciarain Kelleher; Kevin O"Sullivan; James Murphy; Eoin Hennessy(Captain); Luke O"Connell; Ethan Keane; Dave Coughlan; Ken McCarthy; Gavin Walsh; Thomas McGrath; Tommy Boland; Sean Kelly;     Subs; Brian Manning for Ken McCarthy; Damian Horgan for Ethan Keane and Mark Sheedy for Gavin Walsh  (All during second half ).