Match Reports‎ > ‎

Junior 'A' Hurlers Progress

posted 26 May 2015, 02:33 by Niall Fahy   [ updated 26 May 2015, 09:16 ]
The Brian Dillons Junior 'A' hurlers had a opening round championship  victory Sunday last against local rivals Glen Rovers in Ballinlough. It finished 2-16 to 0-09, but the opening half of the game was very different. Playing against a strong breeze it took 14 minutes for the games opening score to come from Mossie Carey, before this Dillons had racked up 6 wides in a scrappy opening 15 where the tempo of the Glen tackling seemed to unsettle the Dillons players. 

Once the opening point went over this changed as the Dillons team grew into the game, Keith McCormack at midfield began to dominate with the support of his back line and up front John Noonan pulled the Glen defence all over as he continued to get on the ball and distribute well. John Horgan at centre-forward although having a mixed game from the dead ball put over two fantastic scores from play out on the right touchline. The scores began to come more frequently in the remaining 15 minutes of the half albeit not in great quantities as Dillons went in at half time 0-06 to 0-04 ahead. 

The Dillons team came racing out of the traps in the second half with McCormack opening the scoring with a great score from midfield, the game however swung massively with the switch from half-forward to full-forward of Cian McCarthy. Within minutes he had popped over two points and then after a mix up in the Glen defence found himself through one on one with the Glen keeper, however great covering work saw McCarthy hooked just before he pulled the trigger. Minutes later coming out to a great cross field ball from John Noonan, McCarthy turned his man and billowed the back of the net. This opening ten minutes had been fruitful for Dillons scoring 1-05 with 1-04 coming from McCarthy at full-forward.

This had put the game beyond Glen Rovers as Dillons took full control frustrating the opposition, continuing to land scores and dictating the tempo. Further scores came including a monster point from Cillian Brosnan at centre-back and much deserved scores for both Noonan and Ross Murphy up front who had got through great work along with Andrew Murphy in the forwards. The icing was put on the cake when Mossie Lawrence, who had been causing the Glen trouble all day, took the ball from a beautiful flick up and turn and buried it in the bottom corner of the Glen goal.

This was a solid performance all round for Dillons although they will be disappointed the bulk of the Glens scores came from frees and will need to improve this aspect of their game going forward. The back six had a good outing with Dave Cremin and Cillian Brosnan excelling in the second period while the full-back line were rarely challenged, up front all six forwards contributed with great work ethic and always showing for the ball and the midfield duo linked play well between defence and attack.

On-wards to the next round go the Dillons team, a team which lined out as follows:
1.T Triggs; 2.P O'Brien(c); 3.D Brosnan; 4.M Noonan; 5.D Cremin; 6.C Brosnan; 7.M White; 8.T Lawrence; 9.K McCormack; 10.A Murphy; 11.J Horgan; 12.C McCarthy; 13.J Noonan; 14.R Murphy; 15.M Carey. Subs: None used.

Scores: C McCarthy 1-04; J Horgan 0-05; T Lawrence 1-0; M Carey & K McCormack 0-02 each; C Brosnan, J Noonan & R Murphy 0-01 each.