Match Reports‎ > ‎

Gallant Second -Half Comeback by Junior (B) Footballers Just Fails against Whitechurch.

posted 14 Apr 2014, 16:25 by Willie Horgan
                            The Brian Dillons Junior (B) Football team, despite a spirited second half in which they came from being eleven points behind  to be just trailing by two with three minutes left, eventually went under by three, 1-13 to 2-7, to Whitechurch in the City Division Junior (2) Football League, played at Pairc Diolunaigh on Monday evening, 14th April, 2014. Fielding without ,at least, three prominent players, who are out injured, Brian Dillons had a disastrous opening half -hour in which they squandered two goal scoring chances and found themselves in deep trouble, at the interval ,when they were behind by 0-2 to 1-7. Whitechurch began the second half with three further points in the opening five minutes and Brian Dillons seemed destined to be in for a hiding. Kevin Varian reduced the arrears with two points in a row for Brian Dillons , but, at the end of the third quarter, Whitechurch were still in a commanding position when  leading by 1-12 to 0-4. It was at this stage of the game that Brian Dillons displayed a huge amount of character with a spirited comeback. Darren McGrath set the wheels in motion, scoring a great goal ,from close range, with fourteen minutes remaining, which was followed by points from substitute, Eoin Keane and a Darren McGrath free...1-12 to 1-6 with nine minutes left.  Two minutes later, Kevin Varian fully atoned for his first half miss, when he billowed the back of the net for a second goal for Brian Dillons, which left just three points between the teams.. Brian Dillons ,playing some mighty stuff now, were in total control and were unlucky not to equalise when another substitute, ,Kieran Delaney,saw his goalbound shot hit the upright and Kevin Coughlan blasted the rebound into the side netting.. Darren McGrath reduced the arrears to just two points, 1-12 to 2-7, when he kicked a point ,from a free, with three minutes left in the game.. However, Whitechurch lifted the siege and put over a point to push them three ahead, in the closing minute of the game. The final score, once again, was ;Whitechurch, 1-13; Brian Dillons (B), 2-7. Scorers for Brian Dillons were; Kevin Varian, 1-2; Darren McGrath, 1-2 (0-2 frees); Seanie O"Dwyer, 0-2 (frees) and Eoin Keane,0-1; The Brian Dillons team lined out as follows; John Shek;Stephen Coughlan; Paul Horgan; Ciarain Kelleher; Eoin Hennessy; Tom Triggs; Damian Horgan; Ken McCarthy; Barry Triggs; James Varian (Captain); Darren McGrath; Kevin Coughlan; Seanie O"Dwyer; Tommy Boland and Kevin Varian;  Subs. (all second half ); Stephen Kearney for Ciarain Kelleher; Eoin Keane for James Varian ; Kieran Delaney for Seanie O"Dwyer.