Match Reports‎ > ‎

Depleted Junior (B) Footballers Brave Display Fails Against Ballyphehane.

posted 13 Sept 2013, 16:29 by Willie Horgan
                       Fielding a team which only included only three members that played in the City Division Junior (B) Football Championship, a most understrength Brian Dillons Junior (B) Football team produced a brave display before losing to Ballyphehane on a scoreline of 3-10 to 2
-5, in the City Division Junior (2) Football League, which was played in The Green, Ballyphehane, on Friday evening, 13th September, 2013.
 With seven members of the (B) team being part of the Brian Dillons first choice team for Sundays Junior (A) Football Championship semi-final, which meant they could not be allowed play in the Ballyphehane game and several others unavailable for a variety of reasons, the team that took the field,on Friday evening was comprised of mostly members of the (C) team as well as four Minors and one player who had given sterling service in the past being called out of retirement , to ensure that the team had a full compliment of players.
                  Still, the team on duty performed heroically, particularly in the opening half, when they raced into the lead after two minutes of play when veteran, Brian Hanley, called out of retirement to help the team, billowed the back of the Ballyphehane net with a piledriver of a goal ,scored from 25 metres. Michael Peters added a point which had Brian Dillons leading by four points after seven minutes of play. However, the scoring seemed to dry up after this point as many opportunities were wasted during the remainder of the first half. Ballyphehane settled and managed to score six points, four from frees, which left them leading by 0-6 to 1-1 at the interval. Brian Dillons were struck another body blow in the first minute of the second half when Ballyphehane goaled to put them ahead, 1-6 to 1-1. Brian Dillons reduced the deficit with a Brian Hanley point , a minute later, but, almost immediately, Ballyphehane struck for their second goal which gave them a lead of 2-6 to 1-2.
 Three minutes later, Ballyphehane had increased their advantage with a point to which Brian Dillons repied with a pointed free from , who else but, Brian Hanley. Ballyphehane added another point in the eight minute of the second half to which Brian Dillons replied with a similar score from Minor player, Kieran Delaney, which left Ballyphehane leading, 2-8 to 1-4, with ten minutes of the second half gone. Then, three minutes later, Brian Dillons were back in the game when centre-half-forward, Michael Peters, carried the ball from midfield to score a marvellous goal.... 2-8 to 2-4. Ballyphehane struck for the decisive score , two minutes later, when they got through for their third goal which restored their seven point cushion. For the remainder of the game, defences on both teams were on top, with only three points being scored in the final fourteen minutes, two for Ballyphehane and one for Brian Dillons, courtesy of Damien Horgan, which left the final score reading, Ballyphehane, 3-10; Brian Dillons (B),2-5. Scorers for Brian Dillons were; Brian Hanley, 1-2 (0-1 free); Michael Peters, 1-1; Kieran Delaney and Damian Horgan ,0-1 each;  The Brian Dillons team was; (1) John Shek;(2) Stephen Coughlan; (3) Paul Horgan; (4) Ciarain Kelleher; (5) Eoin Hennessy; (6) Luke O"Connell;(7) Andrew Whyte;(8) Mark Kelly; (9) Andrew Murphy;(10),Eric O"Donoghue; (11) Michael Peters;(12) Damian Horgan; (13) Donal Shek; (14) Kieran Delaney;(15) Brian Hanley;