Match Reports‎ > ‎

Comfortable win for Junior (A) Footballers over St.Vincents in Championship

posted 8 Jun 2015, 01:42 by Niall Fahy   [ updated 8 Jun 2015, 02:22 ]
On Friday evening last the (A) footballers bounced back from their opening round defeat by Whitescross, to dispatch St.Vincents in the second round of the City Division championship. In truth this game never really got going and as can be seen from the final score of 3-16 to 1-04, was very much a one sided affair in Dillons favour.

The first half was a sloppy affair with both sides guilty of poor play and missed chances, Dillons opened the scoring early with a point from Darragh Rodgers after two minutes but had to wait another ten minutes to add to this after wasting a lot of ball, McGrath pointed followed by three quick points from Brosnan, Cremin and Horgan to open up a gap of 0-5 to 0-2 for Dillons after 15 minutes. The remainder of the half was much the same with St.Vincents battling hard but failing with the final ball but only trailing by 3 points coming up to half time must have been confident for the second period, at the death though Dillons struck a quick 1-1, Andrew Murphy powering forward from wing back to slot over and after clever work the ball was played across the box for John Horgan to punch in at the back post to leave Dillons leading at half time 1-7 to 0-3.

The first seven minutes of the second half put this game to bed with Dillons adding 1-2 to their half time score with the goal coming from full forward Cillian Brosnan. Vincents replied with a goal of their own after sloppy play by Dillons, but this was to be Dillons only lapse in concentration as they closed out the game in good fashion scoring 1-7. The goal coming from a penalty, which was clinically dispatched by Brosnan at full forward, was the second incident meriting a penalty but the first incident in the first half was incorrectly given as a free.

Overall this game benefited the Dillons lads by getting back to winning ways but was no real test for the rounds ahead. They will be hoping to get some tougher tests before the next round which will see them take on Nemo Rangers.

The team lined out as follows: 
1. J Kirby; 2. M Noonan; 3. C Daly; 4. E Hussey; 5. A Murphy; 6. C McCarthy; 7. P O'Brien; 8. T Lawrence; 9. D McGrath; 10. D O'Leary; 11. D Rodgers; 12. D Cremin; 13. J Horgan; 14. C Brosnan; 15. M Buckley; Subs: K Coughlan for T Lawrence, D Coughlan for D O'Leary, B Triggs for M Buckley.

Scorers: C Brosnan, 2-1 (1-0 penalty); J Horgan, 1-2; D Rodgers 0-4; A Murphy and M Buckley 0-2 each; D McGrath, D Cremin, T Lawrence, B Triggs and D O'Leary 0-1 each.